A COLOURED LIFE

I’m placed upon a canvas as vast as imagination
A speck of colour in the artists eye
Blobs of paint swirl next to me uncomfortably
Jostling with each other for temporary recognition

They rub the borders of my personality 
Shaping the way I behave, the way I respond
Some blending harmonies into my life song
Some playing discordances purposefully wrong

I’ve wondered why the painter chose this particular spot
in this particular time, and in this particular clime
And why specifically these particular colours next to me 
chosen from a vast spectrum, a gigantic kaleidoscope of paint

I’ve looked closely at my boundary lines 
Discovered intentional spaces filled with splatter
In my lifetime I may not have the answers served on a platter
About why chroma breathes the aroma of cocoa butter

Why does the coalescing of a myriad hues
Yield a harmony unprecedented, hitherto unseen,
Brightness amplified by both light and shadows
Invited to inhabit my comfort space with the caress of a brush

On this canvas as vast as imagination I lie
Just a speck of colour in the artists eye
Stopping once a while from my spinning, to ponder
To halt in wonder and thank whomsoever for this life of colour 

Comments

Popular Posts