GEN X, Y, Z O Please!


I went for a run the other day. Nothing spectacular about that. An ordinary evening exercise through the crowded by-lanes of Aminjikarai. As I returned, sweaty and exhilarated, calves complaining and shins protesting, random thoughts started exploding in my head. The talk of different generations and giving them letters as labels.
Gen X, Gen Y, Gen Z etc. And then another thought arose. What do we call our generation? Forty plus and suddenly in the mood for regaining the stamina of the past. Ageing stallions and mares not put out to pasture as yet but not allowed to run the Derby anymore. We belong to the Generation "O".
The generation O wakes up after an evening run to the question "O, why did I run yesterday?"
The generation O looks at children and say "O, you know in our childhood..."
Life is a series of O's and Oh's. O, my back! Oh no ! O, where are my glasses? Oh this song is too high, scale it down! O, don't bother me now!

Little does this Generation realise what's in store for them. In a few years we are going to be Generation P. When our greatest achievement becomes managing to "pee" on command. Bar room conversations around the "pills" we are "popping". From not being able to do "push - ups" any more to the increasing size of our "paunches".

And all of a sudden, the train of thought driving me to write this piece makes an abrupt halt. As if someone yanked the chain. Full Stop! My mind becomes a blank slate and I become aware of the noise around me... I scratch my head thinking..."O what was it I was writing about?"

Comments

Popular Posts